Fuzzies...
Well, we finally decided to adopt some fur babies!
We made a visit to the ferret rescue centre to meet some carpet sharks who needed a new home, and while we were there we picked out 3 we liked, then got down to the business of ferret-proofing our lounge and building a cage for them. After a home visit to make sure that our efforts were ok, we were able to collect our new fuzzies and bring them home.
It has been a bit of a up and down ride, with the male still scenting on everything and pooping in odd corners, but on the whole we seem to be getting there! Most of the common stories about ferrets are based on the exception rather than the rule, it seems. Like all animals, they CAN bite if not handled correctly, but the worst I have had from these is a playful nip when I got one of them a bit over-excited. It certainly didn't hurt, and stopped when I told her 'no'...
The smell is fairly distinctive, but I find it only gets truly offensive when the bedding and litter box need changing, otherwise it is not too bad. Sure, you would notice it straight away, but being musky I think it smells rather like cheap perfume! At the ferret rescue (it is basically a room in a couple's house) I initially thought they were using an excess of cheapo air freshener to cover up the animal smell. I certainly prefer it to a doggy smell or a rodent smell!
Anyway, Pixel, Widget and Tetris seem to be settling down well in their new home! They are difficult to photograph as they don't seem to keep still for more than a few seconds at a time, unless they are curled up under their blankies asleep! There are a few (slightly blurry) photos in our album (the photos link is on the left), and I will be adding more as I take them, so check back in a few days!
Edit: Photo link is on the RIGHT. Damned dyslexia.
We made a visit to the ferret rescue centre to meet some carpet sharks who needed a new home, and while we were there we picked out 3 we liked, then got down to the business of ferret-proofing our lounge and building a cage for them. After a home visit to make sure that our efforts were ok, we were able to collect our new fuzzies and bring them home.
It has been a bit of a up and down ride, with the male still scenting on everything and pooping in odd corners, but on the whole we seem to be getting there! Most of the common stories about ferrets are based on the exception rather than the rule, it seems. Like all animals, they CAN bite if not handled correctly, but the worst I have had from these is a playful nip when I got one of them a bit over-excited. It certainly didn't hurt, and stopped when I told her 'no'...
The smell is fairly distinctive, but I find it only gets truly offensive when the bedding and litter box need changing, otherwise it is not too bad. Sure, you would notice it straight away, but being musky I think it smells rather like cheap perfume! At the ferret rescue (it is basically a room in a couple's house) I initially thought they were using an excess of cheapo air freshener to cover up the animal smell. I certainly prefer it to a doggy smell or a rodent smell!
Anyway, Pixel, Widget and Tetris seem to be settling down well in their new home! They are difficult to photograph as they don't seem to keep still for more than a few seconds at a time, unless they are curled up under their blankies asleep! There are a few (slightly blurry) photos in our album (the photos link is on the left), and I will be adding more as I take them, so check back in a few days!
Edit: Photo link is on the RIGHT. Damned dyslexia.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home